October 7, 2015
AGENDA FOR SYNCHRONOUS CLASS
- Who Profits from Your Participation? On the economics of social media – review Padlet wall
- Digital Media in K-12 Education: Renee’s comments on your Padlet Wall discussion
- Review Key Ideas from the Readings: Key ideas from the Jenkins chapter
- What Did You Share? Review Twitter stream for best practices in sharing
- View and Discuss: Jenkins Interview
- Review LEAP 2: Summarize and Analyze
- Demonstrate: How to Create a Screencast Video – Example from Caitlin
- Advice: Renee’s suggestions for success with LEAP 2
ACTIVITIES TO COMPLETE BEFORE WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 14
READ AND DISCUSS:
- RESEARCH: Explore the question, “Who Profits from Your Participation?” by learning more about the economics of social media and the Internet. Find a quality source of information, read it, and tweet about it using the hashtag #COM410.
- VIEW and READ: Watch the educational video about the life of Ivan Illich and his ideas about education before reading: Illich. I. (1971). Deschooling Society. Chapter 6: Learning Webs. New York: Calder & Boyars.
- READ: Rheingold, Chapter 5 & 6 (pp. 191 – 254)
- COMMENT: Select a key quotation from the Illich reading and the Rheingold chapters and make a connection between the ideas, sharing your ideas on the Flipgrid. In true seminar style, be sure to view the contributions of other students and acknowledge some of their ideas before you share your own.
DUE DATES COMING UP:
NEXT CLASS: WEDNESDAY, October 14, 7-8 or 8-9 p.m