Welcome to COM 410: UnClassroom on Digital Learning.
Getting Started. Renee’s in Ningxia Province in Western China tonight but we will attempt two forms of synchronous communication for 1 hour on Wednesday evening (YOU CHOOSE: between 7 – 8 p.m. or between 8 – 9 p.m.) Click here to access the Google Hangout. If the Google Hangout is difficult or Renee gets disconnected, we’ll try synchronous chat here on the MUUT Digital Learning page.
Watch the Google Hangout:
AGENDA FOR SYNCHRONOUS CLASS
- Review Key Ideas: What did you learn from the readings?
- Review assignments: LEAP #1 and REFLECTIVE MULTIMEDIA ESSAY
- Review technology tools. How are you engaging with the digital tools we are using for learning in this class? Reflect on these new forms of interactivity through digital media. How can we best help each other to learn? List your blog on this Google Doc.
ACTIVITIES TO COMPLETE BEFORE WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 23
1. READ and DISCUSS: Rheingold, Netsmart, pp 1 – 110. Hopefully, you have ordered the book and it has arrived. If not, click here for an online version of Chapters 1 – 2. Then select 2 key quotes from chapters 1 and 2 and write about the ideas, making a personal connection to your life using the MUUT DIGITAL LEARNING page.
2. VIEW AND DISCUSS: Watch the two videos below and comment on the most important ideas. Use Flipgrid as in true seminar style: watch the comments of your peers before adding your own two cents, and if possible, try to connect your points to what others have said.
Policy Issues in Digital Learning
Blended Learning in Rhode Island
3. EXPAND YOUR TWITTER NETWORK. Review some of the people Renee is following by looking at her lists and selecting some people to follow.
Keep adding names to the people you follow to reach your goal: follow 100 people. Spend 5 minutes per day reviewing your Twitter stream and checking out the links that people share. If you are not sure of the value of Twitter as an educational tool, watch this short video by Julie Smith.
NEXT CLASS: Wednesday, September 23
DUE DATES COMING UP: